Welcome!

I've set up this blog so that all my friends, relations and colleagues in the world of writing can keep up to speed with what I'm doing - from now on, I'll never have to say sorry for not keeping in touch.

Or anyway, that's the plan.

So do please link up with me on Facebook and Twitter - https://www.facebook.com/margaret.james.5268 and https://twitter.com/majanovelist

You can find my novels as digital downloads on Apple iTunes, Kobo, Kindle and Nook, and most are available as print paperbacks, too.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A fascinating place...




You never know what might be tucked away behind the facade of a beautiful old house, and I certainly didn't know what lay behind the imposing but also self-effacing white door in Exeter's Cathedral Close.

A friend who is a member of The Devon and Exeter Institution recently asked me if I'd like to look around, so of course I said yes - as a writer, new experiences (well, most of them) are always welcome. But I'd never have expected to find this amazing place, straight out of the nineteenth century, flourishing in our cash-strapped present.

The interior is painted white with touches of that lovely Regency green which somehow manages to be both warm and cooling at the same time. The windows have the best view in Exeter - the gorgeous Norman Cathedral and the Cathedral Green. The library holds a wonderful collection of books and periodicals, many of which can be borrowed by members.

I'm going to apply to join, so all fingers crossed a current member will agree to sponsor me and the DEI will let me in.

http://www.devonandexeterinstitution.org

No comments:

Post a Comment