Welcome!

I've set up this blog so that all my friends, relations and colleagues in the world of writing can keep up to speed with what I'm doing - from now on, I'll never have to say sorry for not keeping in touch.

Or anyway, that's the plan.

So do please link up with me on Facebook and Twitter - https://www.facebook.com/margaret.james.5268 and https://twitter.com/majanovelist

You can find my novels as digital downloads on Apple iTunes, Kobo, Kindle and Nook, and most are available as print paperbacks, too.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Time to chat to Valerie Holmes

It's a great pleasure to welcome you back to my blog, Valerie. I'm looking forward to hearing about your work and the inspiration for your Yorkshire sagas. 




Here is Valerie walking the North Yorkshire "trods" as these ancient pathways across the moors are known locally. 
'Thank you for inviting me to talk about my work and The Yorkshire Saga series, Margaret.
'I was fortunate that, as a student of creative writing, I had a brilliantly supportive tutor who inspired me to persevere in the face of initial rejections (a vital lesson to take on board for anyone who is serious about making it through to publication).
'My first novella was published in 2003. I love writing novellas and did so for the next fifteen years, having over forty titles published; romance and mystery, historical and contemporary. I look on them as my apprenticeship as authors continually improve their skills the more they write.
'My strap-line is: Love the Adventure! - and I do. 
'Writing is a solitary occupation, the research is all encompassing, editing, drafting, redrafting - the whole process from initial idea to published book is a labour of love.
'The Yorkshire Saga series is set in my birth county of North Yorkshire where I've spent many happy days exploring the coast, moors and forests, discovering its ancient abbeys, stately homes and researching its chequered history. 
'The beautiful coastal bay towns such as Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Staithes and Saltburn-by-Sea (my "Ebton" is where To Have and To Hold begins) were places where smuggling thrived in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.' 

Above is Valerie's fictional Ebton...

...and one of her favourite churches.
'Although we tend to glorify smugglers nowadays, historically they were plying a violent trade. But taxes were unduly high, war was ongoing, and the government did not care for the plight of the common man.
'With many changes happening both here and abroad, life in both town and countryside was becoming more challenging as machinery replaced cottage industries, so tensions were high.  The period between 1800-1825 fascinates me. It is an excellent era in which to set stories that are packed with mystery, love and drama.'
Thank you for bringing us up to date, Valerie! You can find out more about Valerie and her fiction at: www.valerieholmesauthor.com.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading about an area of the country that I have always loved, and a period of history that I have written novels about, albeit further south in Luddite Nottingham. Whitby still drips history, and those bleak moors haven't changed a bit for centuries. Your works are best described as 'Wuthering Heights meets Poldark' - please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It provides comprehensive knowledge of the subject. Everything written in this blog is close to satisfactory level. I am sure no one can raise any issue about all the information delivered here. james edition

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.

    exclusive cars

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really inspirational to hear someone pursuing their dreams and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path. I have read your article about This topic. I think it's good and impressed to know your service. Thanks for share this Information.luxury cars for sale by dealers worldwide

    ReplyDelete