Welcome!

I've set up this blog so that all my friends, relations and colleagues in the world of writing can keep up to speed with what I'm doing - from now on, I'll never have to say sorry for not keeping in touch.

Or anyway, that's the plan.

So do please link up with me on Facebook and Twitter - https://www.facebook.com/margaret.james.5268 and https://twitter.com/majanovelist

You can find my novels as digital downloads on Apple iTunes, Kobo, Kindle and Nook, and most are available as print paperbacks, too.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lucy Mouland wins Choc Lit Short Story Competition

The winner of the first Choc Lit short story competition is Lucy Mouland, who entered a wonderful story which did just about everything a short story should do. Lucy introduced the reader to a likeable and attractive character who was in a difficult situation, and the story showed us how he dealt with this situation in an unexpected but appropriate way. There were several very small but telling touches which made me feel I knew the central character very well indeed.

Although there were some surprises in the story, the conclusion was logical and left the reader feeling satisfied.

A good short story should show a central character moving on in some clearly definable way, and this one did exactly that. I would have liked to know this central character's whole story. Maybe Lucy will write a novel about him one day?

Runner-up Laura E James (no relation!) also wrote an original and moving story, which delivered a satisfying ending.

Well done, Lucy and Laura!

See http://blog.choc-lit.co.uk/?p=2601 to read the winning story.

No comments:

Post a Comment